Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Offer on the Table

Roasts went well. It's crazy how many beans we tear through in that shop. What's even crazier is how many more we're going to need on a regular basis very, very soon. The Bean is about to blow up. In the good way. That wasn't a threat.

While I was roasting a few customers peeked over to see what was going on, and I was thrilled to have a chance to tell them how it all works. The process is very simple and direct, but getting the roast correct for each type of bean is split-second art in motion. I love it.

The funniest moment of the day, though, was walking into the Bean at 9:30am-ish. Sgott and Maya were rocking it behind the counter, and before them was a line of over 50 people who were all over 65 years old. Most were far beyond that. Another 30 people were already sitting down.

It was the largest line I have ever seen at the Bean and it was a hilarious and somewhat frightening sight. There was a show up the street and 4 buses had delivered these people to the town of New London. One of the guys loved the place so much he said he wanted to buy it.

"Make me an offer," I told him and he laughed all the way back to his friends. When he got there, I overheard his conversation.

"I'm buying this place, Joey!" he said, and I could tell that part of him truly wished he could. He got what the Bean is all about. And everyone, of course, enjoyed their beverages and bagels. Unfortunately only $3.80 in tips were left by those 80 people. Doh! I gave Sgott and Maya my share.

But truly, that line was the last thing I expected to walk in to this morning. I was shocked!

Also next week at Fiddleheads we're kicking this up a notch and gonna offer a $2 coffee tasting instead of just cups of coffee. We'll have a few different origins there that you can sample and then you get to walk away with the type you like best. Because that's just how we like to roll. So come by and enjoy and tell your friends, too!

No comments: